German: Vocabulary I
German Crosswords – This page offers simple crosswords by themes. The English words are provided and the German equivalent is required to complete the puzzle.
BEOLINGUS - Your Online Dictionary - Search through more than 900,000 translations with examples and hints, explanations, synonyms, sayings, aphorisms, and quotations in English and German. Browse lists for special topics. Listen to German and English pronunciations spoken by native speakers.
Online German-English-German Dictionaries
- Translation Dictionary English-German: dict.cc
- HarperCollins German-English Dictionary (WordReference.com)
- German <-> English Dictionary - TU Chemnitz
- English-German Dictionary by Wolfram Schneider
- German-English-German Student Online Dictionary
- The Maschler German-English Online Dictionary
- German-English Quick Dictionary
- LEO English-German Dictionary
Online German Dictionaries
- Logos Multilingual Portal - Children's Dictionary/Wörterbuch Für Kinder - With images and sound files.
Word Frequency/Worthäufigkeit - the top 1,000 words in German.
English-German Cognates - Words that are identical or similar in English and German
If you are an English-speaker, you already know more German than you may realize! English and German belong to the same "family" of languages. They are both Germanic, even though each has borrowed heavily from Latin and Greek. Some German words and expressions are used constantly in English. Angst, kindergarten, gesundheit, kaputt, sauerkraut, and Volkswagen are just some of the most common.
--From You Already Know German!
On PC/Windows systems
Press the "alt" key while typing the following numbers on the numberpad on the right of your keyboard. You need to have the "Num Lock" function on.
ä = ALT + 132
Ä = ALT + 142
ö = ALT + 148
Ö = ALT + 152
ü = ALT + 129
Go to the systems folder, then the control panel. From the control panel open the keyboard icon. Set it to German.
Press the key combination option -u (that is, press and hold the option key, and then press the 'u' key and release both) then press the vowel that you want to be accented.
option-u + a produces ä
option-u + o produces ö
option-u + u produces ü
option-s produces ß